FM-View Forums
Hulk

R.I.P Dan Wheldon

Indy Car driver Dan Wheldon died today in a massive 15 car crash in the Las Vegas Indy 300 at the young age of 33.

No age to die, R.I.P buddy.

May contain distressing images:

Unfortunately this is the risk with being a race driver. 33 is no age to die and my thoughts go to his family and close friends. R.I.P Dan.

Seen the crash online, ridiculous.

Danica Patrick and Dario Franchetti both didn't want to race there and this proves why.

RIP Dan Wheldon, a very successful Brit, who most of Britain won't have heard of :(

Got to admit I've not heard of him before and am saddened that this was the first time. Far too young but it's always a risk with motor racing.

Note to organisers - if racers say they don't feel safe racing at your event, you should listen to their concerns.

yeah i watched on Indy live....very sad.....R.I.P. Dan :(

Just seen the crash myself, what a mess. :(

Seen it just this morning on Daybreak. Horrific crash, can't say I was familiar with his name but that doesn't make it any better. RIP.

Added the video of the crash to the OP. If you find that sort of thing disturbing I advise you not to watch, some of the images are pretty gaphic.

when I opened up Yahoo Sports and saw this, I just couldn't believe that he's dead. I remember watching him in IndyCar a few years back when it was broadcasted here often. RIP

Dan Weldon - better than Jenson in a cart - won it all with them, great driver who broke America with his smile, laugh and heart.

St Petersburg in Florida have lost an adopted son who worked hard for the community that took him in with open arms.

I've watched him leave the UK to go to the Atlantic and Light series in the US and show how good he was, I saw him move to Andretti Green and work under one of the greatest Racing families in the world - and blow everyone away.

His first title, THAT Indy 500 win - the first UK driver since Graham Hill to do that, the second 500 win right on the line when he couldn't get a drive this year.

*sighs*

I sat and watched this live, Jack will tell you my reactions to it all as it broke.

I had a numbness and the throat was closing and I could feel the emotions.

I remember vividly watching F1 when Rubens hit the wall hard, Berger at Tamburello, and THAT weekend with Senna and Roland.

I also remember watching Greg Moore in 1999 have an accident in an Indy race.

We've been lucky over the last few years with accidents in all the formula.

Kubica in Canada, Perez, Rosberg and more in F1.

Le Mans this year saw us watch as McNish trashed a car at similar speeds and then another Audi burnt to a cinder with the driver getting out.

Even in Indy there has been Justin Wilson this year almost breaking his back, Will Power just a few years ago actually breaking vertebrae.

I watch this sport for the excitement, the noise, the thrills, the dicing of the drivers, the skills they show - but this circuit should never have been used for Indy Racing, around half a mile shorted than the 500, more cars than the 500.

I'm glad its the last race of the season as I am not sure I can watch another IndyCar race for a while, it even puts me off other racing at this moment - the sickness I still feel from seeing that crash repeated is still in my head now.

Probably one of the greatest British drivers most people will never have heard of.

:( :(

• Like 1

Never heard of him nor watch the Indy series, but RIP none the less.