FM-View Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnP

Lance Armstrong

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/24/how-lance-armstrong-strongarmed-cycling

Not defending his corner is all but admitting he cheated to 7 Tour De France's like pretty much every cycling journalist has said he had - how long before Team Sky get in the same thing?

Pretty much every article I read during the Olympics had a small mention that they hope there's no doping going on at the moment, but admit it's pretty much impossible to stop it (due to drug advances I think?). I don't know the in's and out's, but why has it taken this long for it to come out? I know it's been spoke about for years but for it all to come out now seems weird.

He won his first TDF in 1999, what takes 13 years to investigate?

Massive kick in the bollocks to the sport imo, probably the only cyclist anyone could name 2 months ago has no been found out to be a massive cheat.

I don't believe he did cheat any of the wins, the early ones at least (even though it makes it look like that). The reason he won't drag it through the court though is because recently he's been on the drugs, and doesn't want it to come out.

My opinion, but I don't really know much about it

Away and shite. He hasn't admitted anything. He has never once tested positive for drugs during any of his wins? He is leaving himself wide open for accusations due to stopping contesting this charge but could you blame him for getting fed up by it all and just stopping caring. The guy's fought through cancer etc it could well be that he sees that there is bigger things to life like enjoying it rather than fighting for titles.

Every cunt dopes in that sport.

Doesn't pretty much everyone dope in that sport though?

I mean all those Tour de France wins that he won, the cyclists in 2nd place and who would get the titles have all had their own doping scandals.

If you're pretty much known wordlwide as the best cyclist ever, if he was truly innocent then he'd fight it through every single court imaginable surely?

Anyway, he's been stripped of his 7 TDF's and banned indefinitely by the USADA.

Maybe, but maybe when you have been through what he has you'd just stop giving a fuck. He's spoken out about the ridiculous testing in the past when he was testing ok, saying it affects you a lot including your family etc. Who knows, could want to just concentrate on his charity work too and forget about all this.

He was tested before and after every Tour win (sometimes during too), he's never once tested positive for any banned substances.For all this 'no defence is admitting guilt' bullshit, the USADA have no control over stripping his titles won in events not run, controlled, nor even validated by them. Why the fuck should he spend big money and time defending a claim against an organisation that has no right to punish him in the way they want to anyway?

He still came back from major cancer to win the Tour de France and considering that it seems like everyone cheated at that time in cycling I don't think my respect has fallen for him all that much.

I mean I couldn't come back from testicular, lung and brain cancer and then become a top athlete.

Lots of people are claiming they knew about it and were part of it yet only Lance is getting targetted which seems really fishy. The testimony of three of the key 'witnesses' have apparently changed numerous times already too which again makes me a bit more sceptical of the severity of the claims.

However I don't doubt that most (if not all) were on some kind of performance boosting substances during that period so he wouldn't have much advantage really. I'd look into why tests done at the time showed nothing out of the ordinary - just inferior testing or were there coverups?

Sordid all round but even if guilty they have no authority to take his titles away and the organisation that does is currently keeping it's position of 'he was clean'.

It's simple. That era of cycling was notorious for drugs and substance abuse. Why perservere with anyone else when you can take down the biggest name in the sport, even now. Armstrong is suffering for his own fame because he is now targeted.

It's actually surpised me as to how many people tesified against him. However it still takes a man with a mind of steel to win the Tour de France after recovering from cancer, regardless as to whether he was drugged up or not.