FM-View Forums
JohnP

The Ashes

Finely poised after 2 days, today was a ridiculous day. Jimmy and Swann this morning bowled unreal, then soon as Finn came on things started to go tits up. The aussies number 11 (whos actually an all rounder ffs) played very very well, harsh but ridiculously funny he was out for 98. 

Still think this test is ours to lose. If Cook and KP see through the first hour tomorrow we'll be in pole position. Trott's dismissal was ridiculous, apparently Root's was too although I didn't see that. 

Any early predictions? I say 4-0 England. I'd love to say 5 but with our weather there's not a hope in getting 5 results IMO. 

Got big money on 4-0 and 5-0, MON. 

Agar was bought in as a left arm spinner and a possible extra bat, which for Oz was useful because they do not have great batting and wanted the extra bowler. He was probably batting at 11 due to it being his first test cap; hell of a debut performance though. No wickets taken yet, so if he stays in the side he might move up to 6 or 7 in the order and bowl part-time.

Problem with Trott was the replay cameras were queued for Roots dismissal, and therefore not available. Harsh, but he had to go.

I would probably guess England 3-1-1, dropping one somewhere.

There were 3 big calls yesterday, all 3 went against England (Agar's stumping, Root's dismissal and Trott's also) so you'd expect the next 50/50 call like the stumping (which admittedly could've gone either way, can see why you'd give benefit of the doubt to Australia in that sense when they were 9 down with a number 11 at the crease) to go our way.

Anyway, the lads are out, here we go. If we get through the first hour without dropping a wicket we win this with absolute ease. 

Edit - Took that a bit fkin literally. Lost two wickets right after the hour mark. Advantage to the convicts now. 

Edited by JohnP

If England can hold after tea until closing today, chances look pretty good - especially if Bell does his best impression of Dhoni.

When I grow up I want to be Stuart Broad. Absolute fucking hero :lol:.

You want to grow up to be a cheater?

Broad knew what he had done, you could see it in his face.

Considering Ramdin got a 2 game ban for not playing to "the spirit of the game" (law 42 and in preamble to the rules) I'd be worried if I was Broad here.

Tho in turn, the ICC have to look at the officials here, they have been shockingly bad!

The umpire has to make the call. That is how it works in every sport, and no different here. No call, no dismissal.

England look pretty good to win from this point, barring total collapse.

You want to grow up to be a cheater?

Broad knew what he had done, you could see it in his face.

Considering Ramdin got a 2 game ban for not playing to "the spirit of the game" (law 42 and in preamble to the rules) I'd be worried if I was Broad here.

Tho in turn, the ICC have to look at the officials here, they have been shockingly bad!

Is it any worse than appealing for a edge when you know full well it hit a pad or something? No. It's up to the umpire. This is why the review system was brought in, not like the Aussies "guessing" they might get someone out when desperate. If they used it properly (and not many teams do, admittedly) it'd not be an issue.

Still. Karma from yesterday. 3-1 to the Aussies now in terms of shite decisions.

But, as I've argued on Twitter', we are the first to shout when an advantage is gained thru deception (see Young, Suarez, Walcott etc) and complain when it happens, how is this any different?

We cannot keep blaming poor officiating in ALL sports otherwise we will just have accept that there will be gamesmanship and cheating in all sport and we have to live to accept it.

And you cannot compare the Trott decision, that was just a bad combination of umpire, review system and not taking the decision on the field.

Still, a Scot who knows cricket. Ta Grandad <3

You can't exactly compare officiating in the two sports.

Diving in football would be like Broad getting half way down the wicket, pretending to be injured cos he knows he's up shit creek and is about to get stumped or run out, then hoping the Aussies don't stump him and believe he's injured. 

What Broad did is no different to someone claiming the ball went over the line in football when it clearly didn't, or vice versa. How much "cheating" is too much. Everyone appeals for the throw-in when they know full well they just kicked it out of play. Is that cheating of gamesmanship? 

At the end of the day, if the shoe was on the other foot, how would the Aussies have reacted? Exactly. 

Anyway, back to the cricket (can guarantee the convicts will cry about this to disguise their piss poor performance \o/) bat for an hour or so tomorrow and declare? Get them in for a tough 20 minute spell before lunch and then give them another going over after lunch. 261 ahead at the moment. 3 runs an over (which is what we finished on with the new ball I think?) get 15-18 overs in, upto maybe 320? Probably won't happen. We'll bat until we're all out IMO seeing as how long is left with no weather issues. 

Heheh!

I think bat for at least an hour, get 300 min, then bowl em out sharpish. :)

Days like yesterday make sport, unreal. So many convicts out in Notts last night. Went to Walkabout for a laugh but they were in quite good spirits in fairness, definitely watching the next test in there from Thursday! 

Australia are chicken!  They walk out after bad lighting, moaned by Clark... :thumbsdown: That's because England need 21 runs to win, only 4 overs left.

well done England! i wish 4-0.  :thumbsup:

Meh. I would say the only reason a game was made of it was because Clarke decided to have a go at it and declared at tea.

I am amazed by cricket, but I am absolutely baffled at how a game can last five days and not have a result. I am much more at ease with this in soccer because of some reason I cannot explain, and no American sport has this conundrum (and please do not try and pawn off the whole, "T20 is cricket in baseball form nonsense", because it is not nearly the same thing)..

Best thing about being jet lagged to fuck is I can still watch the cricket \o/. 

Bowled very well today considering the pitch. So happy that Monty is back in. Such a shame for him to be around when Swann is tbh. Still, this side seems more balanced with an all rounder for the option of a third seamer. Hopefully Prior can hit some form with the bat cos him at 6 with his current form is the only worry in this side IMO. 

Root at 3 over Bell makes sense. Bell has always performed better down the order. That said, he's matured a lot and maybe this was his time to move up the order?

Then again, long term the England team could be: Cook & Root, Trott 3, KP 4, Bell 5. I don't think it'd help to move Bell upto 3 then back down to 5 when Trott is back.