FM-View Forums
mase

The Premier League Thread

Yep, something to do with the player bonus. I don't know the full details, but apparently he agreed to pay them a collective bonus of £4m plus £1m for every place we finished above 20th or something like that total was £11mil anyways. Plus there was an additional £20m if we won the cup. There has been no agreement this year, not much has come out on negotiations obviously but there is no big cup bonus on offer for certain, and I'm guessing for such a huge player revolt, which Rafa isn't even attempting to stop, the other bonuses proposed must be absolutely wank. 

The club, my club, is a mess from top to bottom. As I've mentioned elsewhere there is a movement gathering serious pace to oust Ashley, he has broken promises to fans, players and managers time and time again and frankly people have had enough. Now there have been various small protests by various fan groups in the past but this time several fan groups have got together to make a serious effort to oust him. Even an MP for Newcastle tried to get a bill in parliament to do something saying he was do the club, people and city an injustice and causing them a financial loss etc. Ashley knows the fans dislike him, he doesn't even show his face at matches anymore, he sends one of his muppets (Charnley or Kluivert [not one of the player ones]) to watch over matters. If there is no change at the top Rafa will walk at the end of his contract if no-one comes in for him beforehand. Ashley has such a large inflated ego that he thinks we are worth £450m, if we hadn't gone down twice and if he had given the manager funds to improve the squad and facilities then maybe we would be, but no businessperson in their right mind will pay that for us at the moment. If we qualified for Europe he would have an outside chance but we are £350m at most. Yes he has paid off our debts and purchased some players but by not continually improving the squad, even in a way to at least keep up with the rest of the league he has decreased the value of the club. 

This is a story which has some way to run. Thank you for reading this babble which tells you not very much but gives me a chance to rant. ;) 

13 hours ago, localhero said:

Yep, something to do with the player bonus. I don't know the full details, but apparently he agreed to pay them a collective bonus of £4m plus £1m for every place we finished above 20th or something like that total was £11mil anyways. Plus there was an additional £20m if we won the cup. There has been no agreement this year, not much has come out on negotiations obviously but there is no big cup bonus on offer for certain, and I'm guessing for such a huge player revolt, which Rafa isn't even attempting to stop, the other bonuses proposed must be absolutely wank. 

The club, my club, is a mess from top to bottom. As I've mentioned elsewhere there is a movement gathering serious pace to oust Ashley, he has broken promises to fans, players and managers time and time again and frankly people have had enough. Now there have been various small protests by various fan groups in the past but this time several fan groups have got together to make a serious effort to oust him. Even an MP for Newcastle tried to get a bill in parliament to do something saying he was do the club, people and city an injustice and causing them a financial loss etc. Ashley knows the fans dislike him, he doesn't even show his face at matches anymore, he sends one of his muppets (Charnley or Kluivert [not one of the player ones]) to watch over matters. If there is no change at the top Rafa will walk at the end of his contract if no-one comes in for him beforehand. Ashley has such a large inflated ego that he thinks we are worth £450m, if we hadn't gone down twice and if he had given the manager funds to improve the squad and facilities then maybe we would be, but no businessperson in their right mind will pay that for us at the moment. If we qualified for Europe he would have an outside chance but we are £350m at most. Yes he has paid off our debts and purchased some players but by not continually improving the squad, even in a way to at least keep up with the rest of the league he has decreased the value of the club. 

This is a story which has some way to run. Thank you for reading this babble which tells you not very much but gives me a chance to rant. ;) 

Reckon you'll stay up if you don't sign any one else before Thursday?

2 hours ago, mase said:

Reckon you'll stay up if you don't sign any one else before Thursday?

Honestly? I truly do not know, we haven't strengthened anywhere near enough, yes we have signed some players but not the quality needed to keep up with the likes of where we should be. Noone else will come in this window, morale is low in the squad and the fans are sick. So if it all spills onto the pitch then it could well be our worst season and we could go down. But then again, Rafa is a quality manager, if we stay up it won't be as good as last season.

This could be a thread in itself FFS. Ashley got all het up and wrote a 'scathing' letter to the MP for Newcastle Central Chi Onwurah, the one who did the bill against his ownership of the club

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/read-mike-ashleys-explosive-letter-14999136

She has replied today 

She said: “I am pleased that Mr Ashley has finally decided to speak about his investment in Newcastle United, even if it is to the Secretary of State rather than the numerous fans, media and others who have attempted to engage with him over the years.”

She showed a letter in which she invited Ashley for a meeting, in November 2013, to discuss issues relating to the club and claimed his office responded by declining her offer and instructing her to direct all future correspondence to Lee Charnley.

Talking about Ashley’s letter to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, she added: “His letter does not address the central point: the lack of investment in Newcastle United players which has left the club with one of the lowest net spend figures in the Premier League.

“The petition I presented is merely a reflection of the concerns and strength and depth of feeling of so many Newcastle United fans who contacted me as their Member of Parliament.

“I was particularly concerned by the ‘If Rafa Goes, We Go’ petition, knowing how important a role Newcastle United plays in the lives of many of my constituents I do not feel they should have to choose between their club and its ownership.

“A quick review of social media will show the petition was received overwhelmingly positively received by fans unable to get Mr Ashley’s attention by other means.

“I’m very upset to hear that abuse has been directed at Sports Direct staff. I invite Mr Ashley to join me in my longstanding efforts to ensure the proper regulation of social media.

“However Mr Ashley knows very well that the calls to boycott Sports Direct existed long before my petition and are generally connected to his appalling behaviour as a business owner rather than his record as a football club owner.

“Also at no time have I criticised the Newcastle United Foundation which does wonderful work in the community and whose funding is not, as Mr Ashley implies, entirely a consequence of his ownership.

“I will be writing to the Secretary of State, Jeremy Wright, to offer a meeting with myself and Newcastle United fans so he can judge for himself the depth of feeling on this issue and the crucial importance of football to my constituents.

“Finally Mr Ashley knows I am a fan of Newcastle United as well as the MP for St James’ Park. I boycotted the ground for three years because of his choice of Wonga as a sponsor.

“I admit to being motivated in part by my support for the club and desire to see beautiful Premiership football continue to be played at St James Park.”

and add in the fact that we will most likely get fined by Sky for lack of turning up to media commitments, could include match interviews being not done v Spuds at the weekend, 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/06/misery-newcastle-players-refuse-take-part-television-walk-up/

It's all fun

Soap opera update: players did media commitments today, no news on bonuses yet

3 hours ago, localhero said:

Soap opera update: players did media commitments today, no news on bonuses yet

All sorted now apparently

Yeah it's been sorted thank feck. Still we a mess.

Awful result and performance from United yesterday - Brighton fully deserved their win.

At least Chelsea - Arsenal was a good game this weekend...

• Like 1

Aye Brighton looked canny. Poor showing from Manure but Brighton took their chances well. Man City looking scary again already. Top 4 looking a trifle bizarre early on. Gotta love August 

Was that Mourinho applauding the fans goodbye at the end of the game? Looked like it to me

Watch the back pages tomorrow

9 hours ago, localhero said:

Was that Mourinho applauding the fans goodbye at the end of the game? Looked like it to me

Watch the back pages tomorrow

He walked out the press conference as well, from what I've read.

He'll be gone by end of September if not sooner.

Did seem odd behaviour. He gave a really interview on MUTV, then did that with the general press.

It's all a bit of a circus at the minute. Aside from 3 defensive errors, and us not putting chances away - the performance wasn't actually too bad. All a bit weird really.

Blinking VAR getting used on multiple Prem games this weekend. Nothing being transmitted to the refs but just a "test" to see how it "copes". Another step towards doom. 🤬

17 hours ago, localhero said:

Blinking VAR getting used on multiple Prem games this weekend. Nothing being transmitted to the refs but just a "test" to see how it "copes". Another step towards doom. 🤬

So it will be 'tested' but not actually to influence any decisions in the game itself?

3 hours ago, mase said:

So it will be 'tested' but not actually to influence any decisions in the game itself?

Yeah, "they" (the bosses) want to see how it copes dealing with multiple games at once. 

Still early days but things are starting to take shape...

HT8GQ3g.jpg

I expect Watford and Bournemouth to drop off and the three teams below them start to battle it out for 4th.

The top 3 is as you are for me.

Yeah, can't see Watford and Bournemouth keeping up the pace. I expect Burnley to move out the drop zone and one of the others to also move out, with WHU and Cardiff to fall in and drop.