FM-View Forums
localhero

World Cup Chat

30 minutes ago, mase said:

France vs Uruguay

France won a thrilling game against Argentina, with Mbappe coming to the party in a big way. Him and the French front line will have by far their toughest test of the World Cup in trying to break down a Uruguay side who have conceded 1 goal in 4 games so far. How will their sometimes inconsistent defence cope as well, plus the midfield without Matuidi. This is a big test for them.

As for Uruguay, they are carried by their star power in Godin at the back and by Suarez and Cavani up front. Was Cavani's injury against Portugal serious or not? We'll likely know come this game. Can they beat the super talented French? This is their toughest test by a long way, Godin and co will have to be at their best to contain the French front line. But Cavani and Suarez can get some joy against the French defence. 

So, will Uruguay grind their way to victory or will the French talent overcome that? Who makes the last 4?

Brazil vs Belguim

Brazil seemed a little shaky early doors against Mexico, but seemed to get stronger and finish well. Neymar will once again take the attention and they should feel optimistic about facing the Belgium defence. They have also looked strong at the back, letting in just 1 goal in 4 games, keeping 3 straight clean sheets in the process. 

As for Belgium, they'll have to be a lot better than they were against Japan. They looked a badly flawed team until a lucky looping header gave them a lift. Should they abandon their tippy tappy approach and go more direct? Should Chadli and Fellaini start after their impact against Japan? Feel like they need a new approach. 

So, can Belgium pull off an upset and beat what must now be the tournament favourites? Or will Brazil march on?

Well the France/Uruguay match will be very close but I reckon France will go through, Uruguay have done very well to get tto this point and are looking very good but France just have that wee bit more experience and class which will be too much. 3-1 France with the third coming late as the S.Americans pour forward searching the equalizer.

As for Brazil v Belgium, I have said from the start that Belgium are by far the best of the rest, and I think they will come through this one on penalties. It'll be a tough, game filled with chances and, hopefully goals so I'm going for 2-2 with Belgium winning via pens.

Well, from what i can drunkenly remember, England are through and now face Croatia.

It's not coming home, is it? :P

4 hours ago, mase said:

Well, from what i can drunkenly remember, England are through and now face Croatia.

It's not coming home, is it? :P

After the antics of a minority of eejits I hope not. There'll be riots

I generally don't care about international football, or even cared if England won it.

But after listening to radio stations in work since they made the semis. I hope England get an absolute doing. Trying to get 3 Lions to number 1 but by the time the chart is out they could already have been knocked out. This would please me.

^ Standard Jock reaction :P

TBF, i'd be sick of it too.

Predictions for the first semi final?

• Haha 1

I reckon early Trippier goal then maybe Croatia getting a second half equaliser.

Croatia go through and deservedly so on the night. No idea how they've still got so much energy after 3 extra times.

England failing at the last hurdle, but probably the first tournament performance since Euro 96 that the nation isn't upset about and vilifying someone for - so fair play to them for that

• Like 1

Indeed, we looked sluggish and "same old" he needed to have taken Kane off halfway through the second half, we was having a mare 

Unlucky England...not really ;|

My favourite part was however before the game.

Host: So Gary (Neville) how do you think it'll play out if we go into extra time?

Neville: We'll beat them with stamina, We're younger and fitter

ugh.gif

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, aird said:

Unlucky England...not really ;|

My favourite part was however before the game.

Host: So Gary (Neville) how do you think it'll play out if we go into extra time?

Neville: We'll beat them with stamina, We're younger and fitter

ugh.gif

Well, the important bit was the Gary Neville bit. He reckons he a tactical genius

I actually had a really good idea for a video.

Take the Neville clip, then the goal ending it with an image of Neville and the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the country is raving over Southgate, he has done a canny job, but watch us get off to a crap start in Euro20 qualifying and fans start calling for his head.

We're shit again, we're shit again, England's shit again!!

When were you not? ;|

• Haha 1

When we managed to qualify for competitions unlike other nations 😉

Yeah, must suck to support Italy :lol:

• Like 1

Really enjoyable final, and a great World Cup imo. So much controversy with VAR, some fantastic goals, some big upsets and only one 0-0 game says it all.

Aye was well good. Shame VAR was there but it was a great competition. Still can't see how the fudgebuckets Qatar 2022 is gonna work though. Middle of the season for many in Europe, very small country, just over half the area of Wales, in a politically unstable area. Don't think all stadiums are ready yet, still not decided if it 32 or 48 team WC