FM-View Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mase

New £5 Note

The first new plastic £5 notes will be issued by the Bank of England this week - but why, what will they be like and who will they feature?

The new notes cost the Bank of England £70million to develop, while the notes cost around 7p each to print.

“These notes will stand the test of time,” Bank of England governor Mark Carney said at the launch of the new £5 note.

“Polymer marks a major innovation - it’s cleaner, safer and stronger.”

Former Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill will be the non-royal face of the new £5 note. The current £5 note features prison reformer Elizabeth Fry.

The Bank of England said that it seeks to celebrate individuals "that have shaped British thought, innovation, leadership, values and society" on its notes.

Sir Winston Churchill was seen as someone who fit the bill - being possibly the most famous British leader as well as a statesman and orator.

There’s a a view of the palace of Westminster and the Elizabeth Tower (also known as “Big Ben") from the south bank of the Thames looking across Westminster Bridge,

The clock’s hands are at 3 o’clock – the time on 13 May 1940 Churchill made his famous “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat,” speech in the House of Commons.

This declaration is quoted beneath the portrait.

There’s also a background image of the Nobel Prize medal he was awarded in 1953 for literature, together with the wording of the prize citation.

The new plastic £5 note will be issued on September 13, when about 44million of the notes will come into circulation. After September 13, paper £5 notes will be gradually withdrawn from circulation as they are banked by shops and businesses. Paper £5 notes can be spent as until May 2017, after that they will cease to be legal tender. After that date, you will need to exchange paper £5 notes at the Bank of England.

Little heads up for those of us in the UK i guess!

Yey better than the shitty paper crap, hopefully do away with the rest of them. Might keep a paper one, maybe worth a million one day haha

We're also getting anew £10 one to join the £5:

Following the Bank of England's launch of the new fiver, which features Sir Winston Churchill and is hailed as "longer lasting" and "harder to forge", attention is beginning to turn to the forthcoming plastic £10 note.

1RHVHxO.png

The Bank of England that we can expect the new polymer £10 note in the summer of 2017, the Birmingham Mail reported .

After this, a new plastic £20 note will be released in 2020 - there are currently no plans to issue a plastic £50.

Jane Austen will feature on the upcoming polymer note, as confirmed by Bank of England governor Mark Carney at a 2013 press conference.

There are currently no women on the back of English banknotes, something that caused some controversy when Winston Churchill was announced as the featured figure on the new fiver.

Austen's presence on the new £10 note was one of the first things announced by Carney after taking up his position.

Features of the design on the reverse of the Jane Austen note will include:

• The quote – “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!” from Pride and Prejudice (Miss Bingley, Chapter XI).

• Portrait of Jane Austen. Commissioned by James Edward Austen Leigh (Jane Austen’s nephew) in 1870, adapted from an original sketch of Jane Austen drawn by her sister, Cassandra Austen.

• An illustration of Miss Elizabeth Bennet undertaking “The examination of all the letters which Jane had written to her”– from a drawing by Isabel Bishop (1902-1988).

• The image of Godmersham Park. Godmersham was home of Edward Austen Knight, Jane Austen's brother. Jane Austen visited the house often and it is believed that it was the inspiration for a number of her novels.

• Jane Austen’s writing table – the central design in the background is inspired by the 12 sided writing table, and writing quills, used by Jane Austen at Chawton Cottage.

I've still not actually received a new fiver from anywhere. :D

I never use physical money anymore, it's all electronic for me. Having said that, paper money is really prone to wear and tear so plastic is obviously an upgrade.

One day we will need paper money again. Massive electrical surge could blow all transponders or something technical like that then we'd be fecked.

5 hours ago, Putzy said:

I've still not actually received a new fiver from anywhere. :D

I haven't done anything with cash at all, cards, contactless and phones exist, fuck cash

14 hours ago, JackHammer said:

I haven't done anything with cash at all, cards, contactless and phones exist, fuck cash

Yeah, that's true. Only really use cash in the places that will charge me 50p or similar on top if my purchase is less than £5/£10. Annoying that......

Apparently the new polymer £10 is coming out in 2017 and the £20 in 2020, no idea on when the new £50 is getting released yet though. £10 will have Jane Austen on and £20 JMW Turner.

Big fan of the new fiver to be honest. The old ones got really scraggy quickly. A move in the right direction for us but we have become almost a no cash environment nowadays.

True, but I always like having a few notes in my wallet, never know when you might need them.

2 minutes ago, localhero said:

True, but I always like having a few notes in my wallet, never know when you might need them.

Oh, I believe that too. I get paid cash so when I put my money in the bank, I always leave £50 over for the week. Hardly any of my mates carry cash anymore though.

Always got the window cleaner etc coming to the door or whatever.