FM-View Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vaWolfski

Forest fires in Pedrógão Grande, Portugal

The Portuguese government has declared three days of national mourning following what Prime Minister Antonio Costa has called “the greatest tragedy of human lives” witnessed in the country in years.

A forest fire raging in the mountainous, central Pedrogao Grande area since Saturday (June 17) has killed more than 60 people and wounded 59 – five of whom are in a serious condition.

According to Portugal’s Interior Minister, most of the victims were caught in their vehicles on the road.

A number of people are also said to be missing.

Over 20 villages have been affected by the inferno, which police say may have been caused by lightning striking a tree.

“My sister’s house burned down,” said one woman. “The police came looking for us because we could not breathe.”

It has deployed two army battalions to help some 400 firefighters to tackle the blaze. Help has also been offered from the EU, France and Spain.

http://www.euronews.com/2017/06/18/death-toll-climbs-above-60-in-portugal-forest-fire

----

Biggest tragedy in many, many years in my country.

To anyone here who wishes to help with anything....

To help survivors, a helpline was open by Caixa Geral de Depósitos, under the title “Unidos por Pedrógão”. The account can be accessed using PT50 0035 0001 00100000 330 42

There's a Crowdfunding too 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/pedrogao-grande

Every year, the same thing, fire after fire... It's sad that now it had to come to the proportion of it.

It is sad for real, it already passed the number of deaths in the Entre os Rios tragedy.

I just can't understand what went through the heads of all the people that died inside their cars....

46 minutes ago, vaWolfski said:

I just can't understand what went through the heads of all the people that died inside their cars....

I don't want to even imagine that, the despair of not having any air... if not the worse, one of the worst!

1 hour ago, dedemortePT said:

I don't want to even imagine that, the despair of not having any air... if not the worse, one of the worst!

I don't have anyone that was a victim there, i don't even know the region that well....but everytime i think about this it is hard not to cry.

Aye, I only know what I see on the news over here and on the internet but it looks absolutely devastating. Que Deus esteja com você Portugal

Devastating stuff for sure, tragic.