FM-View Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mase

La Liga confirms matches in United States

La Liga has struck a landmark deal to play competitive top-flight matches in the United States from as early as this season, reports El Pais.

The league has struck a 15-year deal with multinational media company Relevent Sports which will see matches played outside of a home country in a top European league for the first time ever.

The idea is start as early as the 2018/19 season with Barcelona and Real Madrid seen by authorities as the two clubs who will drive increased viewing figures in the competition.

Relevent Sports are backed by US Stephen Ross, the billionaire owner of NFL team the Miami Dolphins and the move is to drive up sponsorship on the continent.

Ross said, in quotes carried by El Pais: "The goal of this extraordinary 'joint venture' is for the culture of football to grow in the United States. It will be a big step in its growing popularity.”

Good god i hope the Premier League doesn't follow suit

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:17, mase said:

Good god i hope the Premier League doesn't follow suit

I hope it doesn't either but I can see it happening :( 

This is all kicking off, club captains (all of them) met up and aregoing to confront la Liga bosses and demand that they change this and not have this match in the states. The clubs weren't consulted apparently, and the players are kicking off because of the travel and the impact on fans and they are threatening to strike if it isn't undone. Watch this space... 

2 minutes ago, localhero said:

This is all kicking off, club captains (all of them) met up and aregoing to confront la Liga bosses and demand that they change this and not have this match in the states. The clubs weren't consulted apparently, and the players are kicking off because of the travel and the impact on fans and they are threatening to strike if it isn't undone. Watch this space... 

Good, hopefully player power wins out

Aye I hope so, strikes are fairly common in Spain, not as bad as France but worse than here, so I wouldn't be overly stunned if it did come to that. Hopefully common sense will win out

It is now going to court. La liga is taking the Spanish FA (RFEF - Real Federacion Espanol de Futbol) to task about it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46400031

As I've been updating this thread...., Barca have now abandoned plans to play their La Liga match v Girona in Miami. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46515142

I don't think it will be the end of it tho - i'm sure it'll happen eventually.

Money talks and all that

But equally Spain are good at strikes so they will go through with that threat if foorced