FM-View Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JordanC

Using Twitter To Promote FMV

I'm new to the whole Twitter phenomenon also (thought it was pretty much pointless babble) but I've been in the promotions/marketing field for some time - from what I see, it's definitely a TOP tool to get the word out about anything to people... and it's free & simple to do!

If you plan on utilizing it more, remember, don't think of it under the term "advertising". The easiest way to get un-followed is by sending out 10+ tweets a day doing nothing much more than saying "come to my site!". This is SOCIAL networking, so you're looking to interact with your fans and prospective followers in a more personal tone.

On the other side, it's also a turnoff if all you do is make pointless babble. Telling everyone what you're listening to does nothing for your followers... neither does having @ conversations in public when they should be DMs. (since your other followers may have no clue what you're talking about) Since the site is based around Football Manager, TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL MANAGER. Go around the forums every day (even ones that aren't your own) and find the top talking points - then tweet a 100 character opinion about it with a shortened URL that directs them to a blog post, article, forum thread, etc. that is applicable. EVEN IF IT'S NOT YOUR OWN SITE.

The key here is relevancy to your followers. As long as you are supplying them with information they want, you'll continue to get more people looking and more @ replies back... you'll then tend to see your stuff RE-TWEETED which extends your reach even more. Of course, there still should be some self-promotion for YOUR site in the mix, but don't make it so abundantly apparent that followers just start tuning you out.

Once this type of machine gets rolling and you build up a nice followers list, you can likely get a percentage of them signed up on your forum and participating. Realize that there are tons of people on Twitter that may play FM, but have NEVER been to a fansite/forum for the game. Be their first eyes & ears for them and they'll become loyal to your site for all their FM needs.

This is exactly the type of stuff I'm starting to do for FM Live at http://www.gameworldone.com (especially since I've got a virtual monopoly on the fansite scene) but I was befuddled that there were several FMxx sites on Twitter, yet NONE are doing anything of the sort. (most have either tweeted very sporadically or just tied it into their forum thread RSS)

I'd definitely like to see an equivalent on Twitter and maybe even a day when all the fansites work together to further promote ALL of their work. (yeah, sure!)

Want a job? :D

Thanks for taking the time out to write this mate. Unfortunately I highly doubt myself ever going anywhere near Twitter.